Hi ya’ll! It’s been a CRAZY life, but gooood! Moving in, boxes everywhere, construction still going on, it’s an adventure! One of the many good accomplishments that keeps me going is the completion of our girls bathroom remodel. I LOVE this room! It turned out exactly how I envisioned it. When we first saw our house, the bathroom was functional but not very pleasing to the eye. Not my eye anyhow. It was dark because of the lack of windows. The color was a pinkish red like lipstick and a dull grey. Coupled with a dark wood vanity and DIYed tile countertop, this bathroom needed help! I did like the bamboo floors, but real wood in a bathroom for young messy girls didn’t sit well with me. The shower surround was clean but unwanted, the tub was in decent shape except for the hard water stains and the toilet looked kind of new. I decided to hold on to the tub and toilet, everything else had to goooo.
Ina thought up the color scheme, blue and yellow. I thought that was great over Zolies idea of pink. Because of the lack of windows, white had to be the primary color (is white even a color?) to lighten up the space. The walls were to be blue with accents of yellow. Remember that SCORE of a deal tile flooring and subway tile from Craigslist? Time to finally bring them out.
We started with gutting the bathroom but leaving up the walls. They were bad but could be fixed with a little elbow grease. Yuri skim coated only the entire top half of the walls because the bottom would be covered with bead board. A light sanding and the walls were ready for paint. Mom rolled on the paint for me while I cut in the corners. The paint was a beautiful blue! Don’t ask me the name as it was gifted to me by my big brother who works for Sherwin Williams. It was one of those oops paint mixtures that turned out fabulous!
Next, the subway tiled shower walls. I had to get myself pumped and fired up as this was my first subway tile job. I’ve helped hubby do 12×12 larger tiling but never this small before. So I hopped on Youtube, Pinterest, Google, wherever a how to subway tile tutorial was I watched it! Game on! Wait! While watching my millionth tutorial, I came across a product most people were using before you apply the tile. Redguard. It’s a waterproofing product you roll onto your Hardibacker or cement board. It completely waterproofs your bathroom because again I learned that Hardibacker/cement board and most tiles can still be porous. Reguard is a little pricey at $50 a gallon but I guess it seals the deal. No, Reguard isn’t cuttin’ me a check, just needed to explain what the red stuff on the walls and floor is on the photos. Ok, bathroom waterproofed, time for tile!
We measured, leveled (of course this old house is unleveled), made a level board as my starting point and got busy. I made two vertical lines. One marking the center point of the wall and the other as my offset for the subway tile pattern. No spacers were needed as this tile has a built-in ditch for grout…heavenly! Laying them out on the mastic went pretty smooth and faster than I thought. We added in 4 corner shelves, two for each kid. Along the edges we added trim to complete the look. Voila! Next the floor. Grouting was saved until both shower and floor was complete.
Don’t even ask me how the floor tile was started. My Dad calculated where the first piece would go. I was just a laborer for this job. Laying these 10-1/4 in. width x 11-3/4 in. cutesy tiles was a doosey! Even though the room doesn’t have a lot of floor space, making sure you don’t fall out of the pattern and keeping from spacing out was a challenge. After a while my eyes were playing tricks on me. Is this what tripping feels like? Ugh! I had to look up at the ceiling to get my bearings a couple times until the floor was complete and I still had to do the edges. Cutting tiny tiles and placing them in like a puzzle. Zen music playlist please. We went back to grouting the shower (we’re gonna talk about that mess in a minute) then the floor. DONE!
Time for beadboard. We applied 32×96″ beadboard sheets cut in half from HD then trimmed it with 1×6 pine board for a nice thick base. The top of the beadboard was completed with some decorative trim. I painted the board and trim with SW White Cotton semi-glossy. We purchased oil rubbed bronze fixtures and accessories that really make the black and white pop giving the room a vintage feel. The only thing that hasn’t been replaced yet is the ceiling fan light. It’s not killing the look so it can wait til later.
Now let me get into the mess of a grout job I did in the shower. I am not too proud to tell you about my failures because that’s how you learn. The grout mix was perfect, like cake batter. Then I started to apply my cake battered grout on the tiles with my float…perfect! I grouted the entire three walls, then waited another 5 minutes before sponging off. MISTAKE! I waited too long. The grout dried and became a nightmare to take off. So I did the only thing I knew how to do. I cried for Yuri’s help. He stopped what he was working on and said, ” just sponge off with a lot of water”. Second mistake! We sponged off the grout with sopping wet sponges. Well, when you do that, the grout thins and falls out but I didn’t notice it until we were finished. Crying for real felt like a good idea at that point because I knew I was gonna have to scrape it out and do over. About a week or so later I scraped out about half of it and regrouted.
This time after a good 2 minutes I sponged off. PERFECT! Now I have another issue. The redone grout looks so much nicer than the old so that means I’m going to have to redo the rest at some point, down the road, at another time. Ugh!
I can’t wait to decorate this little vintage cutie. Here’s some before and afters for ya…
I hate to think of the messes that are going to grace upon it. On and upward to the next project!