Hey folks! I can explain! I’ve been absent for a little over a month due to a stall in the process. The last time I left, a well company was drilling a new well..down to 320ft. Well here’s the backstory of the well issues on our property.
When we purchased the house, we had water. It was a bit cloudy but it was not being filtered through the softener or filter so we thought, ok that’s understandable. Also after two or three days of use, the water would stop. Turn on the sink and nothing. Two days later it would come back again. We already knew this was an issue from the inspection. The inspector told us it could be 1. we need a new pump which is relatively inexpensive or 2. we need to dig a new well, which can be a pocket book killer.
With this information, our awesome Realtor knocked a nice chunk of moolah off the home price just in case we had to dig a new well…which we did!! So my Conwhacker decided to wait until almost the very end of his reign to tackle the well which has become the most troublesome project. He hired some drillers (let’s call Well Company A) from down lower Delaware who said, “ok, we’ll drill a little deeper down to 320ft, we’ll be sure to get some water”…fer sure! Fer NOT sure! They drilled into our land until their equiptment couldn’t go any further, pulled out, took our money, then abandoned us . It was all so dirty.
So after the drilling incident, we asked Company A is there any technology out there that can help to pinpoint where a good aquifer is and how far down we should drill so this cannot happen again. They said no. I couldn’t take that for an answer. There HAD to be something. So after days and hours of investigative work and calling as far as Texas, I found help. DNREC (Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control) has a Division of Water department where I found a Hydrologist named Scott. I told him about our water woes and he suggested to bring his borescope (fancy word for video camera) and another device which can help to locate sand, which is where the water is located. I was SO happy I found him and especially since the service cost us $0 because it’s state funded.
On April 13th two Hydrologists and the Well Permit Supervisor for the state of DE came to our house, with their truck and trailer of technical devices, to begin testing. Maaan I tell ya, I was feeling some kind of special and thankful for these guys!
First thing they did was put the camera down into the well which was very interesting to see on the monitor. The walls of the casing were a dirty grimy mess! Ok, before I begin using water well vocab words, here’s what a cased well looks like:
It was so grimy with black sandy soot we couldn’t see where the screen was. Next they entered a gamma ray logging device which measures naturally occurring gamma radiation to characterize the rock or sediment in a borehole or drill hole. Basically, for our purposes, it logs where sand is in the ground.
After about 3 hours of geeking, Scott and Alan suggested that we get the well blown out to get rid of all the grime because maybe the screen is fully clogged letting minimal dirty water through. They also showed us peaking on the gamma log at 50-60ft. There were peaks between 10-30ft. but by code, a well cannot be less than 25ft. in the state of DE. Where the depth of the well is now at 150ft. shows a very hit and miss area.
So, we decided to go ahead and get our well cleaned out. I decided to use a company that was familiar with our property as they worked there before. On April 20th, Well Company B came out and blew out our well. That’s exactly what they do, but technically it’s where high-pressure air lines are inserted and debris is literally blown out the top of the well head. Quite a show! I hope the video show up for ya. The water being blown out started out black and then gradually turned clear. YAY! Our troubles are over….so we thought. After the guys took out the air line, then started to run the water through a short hose, the water began to run a light greyish-brown color. They said to keep running it overnight and maybe it’ll clear up. If not, that well is shot! Needless to say it did not.
AARGH!! Back to the drawing board. By the way Well Company 2 refused to dig a well on our property because they were unsuccessful now and prior with the previous owners and didn’t want to guarantee they could provide clean water, which I think sucks. As I was in the process of finding another well company to dig a new well, Alan the Permit Supervisor called me and asked if he and Steve could come back to see what the well looked like after the blow out. Sure! Maybe they can help again.
And help they did! On May 1st, they put the camera down again and discovered that our well had NO screen. It was what’s called a open hole well. So the water is not being filtered. All that clay, sand and soot down there is mixed with the water. So, we HAVE to get a new well drilled definitely, but where the sands are! Not like Well Driller A who just drilled blind.
So here we are May 13th, we just got a bid from a Well Company out in Maryland. To drill a new well, hooking up to the house with a new pump will be to the tune of $10k. Yikes!! But we cannot move in without it.
So there you have it! This is why I’ve been absent. I guess the stress of it all got the best of me and blogging was the last thing on my mind. But my motivation has picked back up and ready to get to tackle this thing again. Clean good water is coming!!!
Will keep ya updated!!